This Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole is simply the form of recipe we have to be having fun with in PJs, always of day. Each—that means the PJs and this recipe—are acceptable at any hour. It makes sufficient for leftovers, could be prepped effectively upfront (in a single day in the event you like!), and is well adaptable to a wide range of diets and components.
Whether or not you might be on the lookout for a breakfast that vegetarians can eat, a simple recipe to get pleasure from all week lengthy, or just desire a lazy-day form of breakfast that you would be able to eat slices of in your sweatpants at your leisure, savory egg bakes like this one are spot-on.
Great products that you can use in your life.
I think about myself a little bit of a breakfast casserole connoisseur, a distinction I owe to my mom.
Every time my mother has her three grownup youngsters—plus our spouses and my nieces—all squished again below her roof, she begins every morning with a crowd-sized breakfast. Whereas the edges may change, a breakfast casserole is the primary occasion.
As a collective, we choose a savory breakfast casserole like this one over a candy one (all of the extra room for a facet of Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls). They’re virtually at all times egg primarily based, with plenty of yummy mix-ins.
I hope you’re looking forward to an enormous breakfast too. This casserole is totally loaded with roasted greens and though it’s vegetarian, it’s loads hearty and satisfying— match for a breakfast feast!
Don’t let the recipe’s title idiot you both; this straightforward vegetarian breakfast isn’t restricted solely to the AM hours. I really like reheating it for quick, wholesome lunches and dinners too.
Along with being vegetarian, this casserole is of course low carb and gluten free. We love ours with a bathe of feta or ricotta baked on high, however it could possibly simply be omitted in the event you’d just like the casserole to be dairy free.
In the event you love a hearty, scrumptious breakfast that has the additional benefit of being good for you, this casserole checks ALL the containers. It’s the perfect mix of healthful and comforting.
Tips on how to Make a Scrumptious Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
Under, you’ll discover my favourite mixture of greens for this breakfast casserole recipe, however it’s not at all the one tasty mixture. Be happy to swap these out for others, relying upon what you and your loved ones choose.
- Candy Potatoes. They’re deliciously stunning! You’ll love how tender and creamy they style, and so they make the casserole particularly filling. In the event you’ve by no means added roasted candy potatoes to an egg bake earlier than, now could be the time.
- Mushrooms. Mushrooms add a contact of earthy taste and satisfying savoriness to this casserole. Watch out to not use sliced mushrooms (purchase complete ones and quarter them your self) or they could overcook.
- Broccoli. A inexperienced, nutrient-packed addition to this vegetarian casserole.
- Crimson Bell Pepper + Onion. I really like the pop of colour that crimson bell peppers add. As soon as roasted, each of those veggies carry simply the correct amount of sweetness to the dish.
- Eggs. The important thing ingredient holding casserole collectively. The eggs will tackle all the opposite delicious flavors within the dish and add a heap of protein, making this casserole filling.
- Milk. I sometimes use skim or 2%; complete milk can be richer and unquestionably scrumptious. Use a non-dairy milk, in the event you want this recipe to be dairy free.
- Italian Seasoning. A powerhouse of seasoning that’s good for complementing roasted veggies.
- Ricotta Cheese or Feta. Each are excelling pairs for the roasted veggies. This ingredient makes the casserole style particular.
- Contemporary Herbs. Basil, thyme or parsley would all work effectively.
- Calmly coat 2 massive baking sheets and a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Toss the greens with olive oil, salt, and pepper Evenly distribute the greens onto the baking sheets.
- Roast the greens for 20 minutes at 400 levels F, till tender. Layer half of the roasted greens within the casserole dish.
- Beat the eggs along with the milk, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Pour the combination into the casserole dish, and add remaining greens on high. Dollop with small spoonfuls of the ricotta or sprinkle with feta.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 levels F, till the highest is golden. Take away, sprinkle with recent herbs, and serve heat. ENJOY!
Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole Recipe Variations
- Dairy Free. Use a non-dairy milk and omit the cheese (or use a non-dairy cheese choice).
- Gluten Free. No adjustments wanted; this breakfast casserole is gluten free as written.
- Low Carb. Though I like the candy potatoes on this recipe, they’re larger in carbs than different greens; you possibly can swap the candy potatoes for a unique, decrease carb choice. Roasted cauliflower can be scrumptious.
- Potato, Egg, and Cheese. Swap the candy potato for a similar quantity of diced Yukon gold potatoes. Sprinkle ½ to 1 full cup of shredded cheese similar to cheddar or mozzarella over the primary layer of roasted greens.
- Add Meat. Now, I actually don’t assume this casserole wants meat, even in the event you aren’t vegetarian. That mentioned, in the event you can’t resist, be happy to swap one of many candy potatoes for Eight ounces of sautéed hen or turkey sausage. A breakfast casserole with ham items would even be scrumptious. You may as well sprinkle the highest of the completed casserole with cooked and crumbled Baked Bacon.
Make Forward + Storage Ideas
- To Prep Forward. Roast the greens as much as 2 days upfront, then add them to the recipe as directed.
- In a single day Breakfast Casserole Prep Possibility. You may as well totally assemble the casserole, cowl it unbaked, and refrigerate it in a single day. Let it come to room temperature whereas the oven preheats, then bake as directed.
- To Retailer. Cowl leftover casserole or retailer in an hermetic storage container and place within the fridge for as much as Three days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm the breakfast casserole within the oven at 350 levels F till sizzling. You may as well gently reheat particular person slices of the casserole within the microwave till warmed via.
- To Freeze. Retailer leftover casserole in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as Three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating. I prefer to wrap and freeze particular person slices, then thaw them in a single day within the fridge for fast meals.
What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole
- Bread. Breakfast casserole with complete wheat toast or Easy Drop Biscuits can be a scrumptious, hearty meal.
- Hash Browns. Breakfast casserole with hash browns is a mix that your complete household will love. (May I counsel these Sweet Potato Hash Browns?)
- Fruit. For one thing wholesome and light-weight, attempt a facet of recent fruit with this breakfast casserole.
Extra Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes with Eggs
Really helpful Instruments to Make This Recipe
Whether or not you serve it for breakfast, brunch, or brinner, I hope this vegetarian breakfast casserole turns into a well-loved meal in your house too.
In the event you attempt the recipe, please depart a remark beneath and let me know the way it goes. I really like listening to from you!
A filling and hearty vegetarian breakfast casserole with roasted greens and cheese. Low carb and gluten free. Prep it in a single day for simple entertaining!
- 2 medium candy potatoes — peeled and diced
- 8 ounces complete cremini child bella mushrooms — quartered (don’t use sliced mushrooms or they could overcook when roasting)
- 1 small head broccoli — reduce into florets
- 1 crimson bell pepper — diced
- 1 crimson or yellow onion — reduce into ½-inch cube
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons further virgin olive oil
- 12 massive eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 garlic clove — minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning — or dried herbs of alternative
- 4 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- Chopped recent basil — thyme, or parsley (non-compulsory)
Place racks within the higher and decrease thirds your oven and preheat the oven to 400 levels F. Calmly coat 2 massive baking sheets with nonstick spray. Calmly mist a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray and put aside.
Place the greens in a big bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss to coat. Divide the greens evenly between the 2 sheets and unfold them right into a single layer. Roast the greens till tender, about 20 minutes, tossing the greens on the pan so that they cook dinner evenly and switching the pans’ positions on the higher and decrease racks as soon as midway via. Switch half of the roasted greens to the ready casserole dish and unfold into a good layer. Cut back the oven temperature to 350 levels F.
In the meantime, in a big mixing bowl, beat the eggs along with the milk, garlic, and Italian seasoning till evenly blended. Gently pour it into the casserole dish. Scatter the remaining greens evenly excessive, then dollop the ricotta excessive in small spoonfuls (I like so as to add about 20 to 24 spoonfuls; you wish to every slice to have a number of dollops, however have them be massive sufficient so to really style them).
Bake the casserole for 35 to 40 minutes, till the casserole is golden on high and the middle not jiggles whenever you shake the pan. Take away from the oven and sprinkle with recent herbs. Serve heat.
- TO STORE: Cowl leftover casserole or retailer in an hermetic storage container and place within the fridge for as much as Three days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm the casserole within the oven at 350 levels F till sizzling. You may as well gently reheat the casserole within the microwave till warmed via.
- TO FREEZE: Retailer leftover casserole in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as Three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- I prefer to wrap and freeze particular person slices, then thaw them in a single day within the fridge for fast meals.
Course: Breakfast, brunch
Key phrase: gluten free breakfast casserole, low carb breakfast casserole, potato egg and cheese casserole, vegetarian breakfast, vegetarian egg bake
Quantity per serving (1 (of 10)) — Energy: 188, Fats: 11g, Saturated Fats: 3g, Ldl cholesterol: 200mg, Potassium: 513mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 11g, Vitamin A: 4774%, Vitamin C: 71%, Calcium: 123%, Iron: 2%
This put up incorporates some affiliate hyperlinks, which signifies that I make a small fee off gadgets you buy at no extra price to you.