I’ve a style of France for you right now! These Strawberry Crepes are superbly mild, straightforward to make, and the dreamy cream cheese Greek yogurt filling locations them squarely on the road between summery dessert and dreamy weekend breakfast. I vote we eat them for each!
Making crepes from scratch is a kind of culinary endeavors I thought of too fussy for my tastes.
Great products that you can use in your life.
I even personal a elaborate crepe pan, a present Ben purchased me years in the past at my request. I harbored romantic footage of us recreating the piles of crepes I cooked with my host household after I studied overseas in France.
Flash ahead seven years: the crepe pan has moved into three completely different properties with us…and by no means emerged from its forgotten place at very backside of our pile of pots and pans.
Then just a few weeks in the past, I discovered myself lacking Paris, the very first place I tasted crepes. With a wide-open morning and a eager for the flavors of France, I made a decision to offer crepe batter (and my crepe pan) a spin.
Not solely have been the crepes très faciles (straightforward) to make, they have been completely delectable.
The batter was tender and golden, similar to the crepes I remembered consuming overseas. After a crepe or two, I had the grasp of it, and earlier than I knew it, we had our personal stack to fill.
**Fast notice** You don’t want any particular gear (like a devoted crepe pan) to prepare dinner crepes. A blender makes the batter simpler, and for cooking, any vast, nonstick skillet is ideal.
What are Crepes: Candy or Savory
A crepe is actually a skinny, delicate pancake, and yow will discover variations of it throughout Europe. Crepes might be candy or savory, relying upon your selection of filling and whether or not or not you embrace sugar within the batter.
This crepe batter requires 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar, and you should utilize it for any variety of candy fillings, from Nutella, to jam, to the fruit of your selection (or a combination!).
You can too omit the sugar, then use this similar crepe batter recipe for savory fillings.
At present’s candy strawberry crepes characteristic a tangy, frivolously candy filling made with cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and honey, together with brilliant contemporary strawberry slices.
The strawberry and cream mixture is much less conventional in comparison with strawberry jam crepes or Nutella crepes.
Except strawberry crepes suzette (a chic restaurant dessert that’s cooked tableside in a sauce of sugar, orange juice, and liqueur, then topped with brandy and lit on fireplace), the crepe fillings you’ll see in France are extra easy.
Typically candy crepes are served with only one or two toppings (sugar and lemon is traditional), or the crepes are loved on their very own, with a contact of sweetened whipped cream.
That mentioned, I’m glad to go a bit of French-American right here.
The strawberries and crème combo tastes effortlessly delicious and optimistically summery. It’s what I’m feeling and hoping proper now.
The way to Make Strawberry Crepes
This strawberry cream cheese crepe recipe yields Eight crepes, plus sufficient filling so as to add a modest, however satisfying filling.
The batch is simpler to complete than you suppose. Be at liberty to scale the recipe up. The leftovers can final an additional day or two (see Storage Ideas beneath for extra). It’s additionally enjoyable to mess around with completely different fillings (see Recipe Variations beneath for concepts).
- Flour. The all-purpose flour retains these crepes mild and ethereal, and the white complete wheat flour is my little healthful addition. When you choose, you should utilize solely all-purpose flour.
- Sugar. A tiny little bit of sugar offers the crepes a necessary contact of sweetness. If you wish to make these savory crepes as a substitute, you may omit the sugar.
- Cinnamon. Whereas fully elective, I really like the heat that cinnamon brings to the crepes. It isn’t a standard addition, nevertheless it’s scrumptious. Strive it each methods and decide your favourite.
- Eggs + Milk. The eggs assist create texture and maintain every thing collectively. Each the eggs and milk have to be at to room temperature so every thing mixes collectively simply.
- Butter. An ideal crepe wants a frivolously buttery taste to attain melt-in-your-mouth degree goodness. The butter can even assist the crepes prepare dinner with out sticking.
- The Filling. A scrumptious, naturally-sweetened filling of cream cheese, Greek yogurt, vanilla, honey, and strawberries takes these crepes effortlessly from breakfast to dessert (or anytime in between!). You will discover different filling solutions beneath.
Put together the crepe batter in a blender (pictured above) or in a mixing bowl. When the batter is clean, pour it right into a bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes, or refrigerate it for as much as 24 hours.
Put together the cream cheese Greek yogurt filling (it’s frivolously candy; be happy so as to add extra honey or sugar to style). Slice the strawberries, then retailer each within the fridge till you’re able to prepare dinner the crepes.
Once you’re able to prepare dinner, soften butter in a nonstick skillet over medium warmth, then add 1/Four to 1/3-cup crepe batter. Swirl the skillet to unfold the batter across the total pan (pictured above). I take advantage of nearer to 1/Three cup; it yields a thicker crepe however is simpler to flip.
When the highest seems to be dry, flip it over utilizing a spatula or your fingers. Be VERY cautious so that you don’t burn your self! As soon as the crepe is golden on either side, take away it to a plate or a baking sheet (in the event you’re holding them heat within the oven). Put together the remaining crepes, including extra butter to the skillet as wanted.
Time to assemble! Smear the cream cheese filling over half of the crepe (pictured above).
Add the strawberries on high.
Fold the clear half excessive of the opposite half, making a half circle.
Fold your crepe in half as soon as extra, making a triangle with one rounded edge. For extra element on the folding method, see the video on this put up. End with extra cream, berries, or powdered sugar, then DIG IN!
Make Forward and Storage Ideas
Strawberry crepes are straightforward to make forward! Actually, the crepes are simpler to flip and have a greater texture as soon as the batter has rested, so benefit from the make-ahead possibility.
- To Make Forward. Put together the batter and cream cheese filling as much as 24 hours upfront, and retailer each in separate storage containers within the fridge till you’re able to prepare dinner. Slice the strawberries, and retailer them in a storage container within the fridge for as much as Three days.
- To Retailer. Retailer leftover crepes within the fridge for as much as 2 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat crepes on a baking sheet within the oven at 325 diploma F or in a nonstick skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth.
Recipe Variations and Filling Concepts
- Strawberry Jam Crepes. Unfold the crepes with a beneficiant layer of strawberry jam, then fold as directed. This model is nice with whipped cream. This Strawberry Chia Jam can be scrumptious.
- Fast Selfmade Strawberry Sauce for Crepes. Add 32 ounces of hulled strawberries, 2/Three cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and a couple of tablespoons lemon juice to a medium saucepan on the range over medium-high warmth. Deliver to a boil, stirring consistently till the strawberries are squishy smooth. Mash the strawberries, then pressure the combination over a big bowl. Pour the strained liquid again into the saucepan, and boil for just a few further minutes. Unfold the crepes with the strawberry sauce as a substitute of the cream filling.
- Strawberry Chocolate Crepes. Sprinkle the cream cheese with mini chocolate chips or drizzle the assembled crepes with melted chocolate.
- Strawberry Nutella Crepes. Unfold about 2 tablespoons Nutella onto every crepe as a substitute of the cream cheese combination.
- Strawberry Banana Crepes. Add banana slices with the strawberries. This model can be scrumptious with Nutella.
- Prime it with Whipped Cream. On my crepe plate, that is at all times a sensible choice.
Beneficial Instruments to Make This Recipe
Strawberry crepes, je t’aime!
When you do this recipe, please depart a remark beneath to let me know the way it turned out. I really like listening to from you, and your feedback and 5-star rankings are so essential for my website and useful to others too!
: 10 crepes; about 1 1/Four cups cream cheese filling
Simple do-it-yourself strawberry crepes with a frivolously candy cream cheese yogurt filling and contemporary strawberries. Serve for breakfast or dessert; straightforward to make forward.
For the Crepe Batter:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white complete wheat flour — or further all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon — elective
- 2 giant eggs — at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups nonfat milk — at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter — melted and funky to room temperature, plus further for cooking
For the Filling and Topping:
- 2 ½ cups sliced contemporary strawberries — from 1 16-ounce field
- 4 ounces diminished fats cream cheese — softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Powdered sugar — elective
To make in a blender (my favourite methodology): In a high-powered blender, place the all-purpose flour, complete wheat flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Crack within the eggs and pour within the milk. Add the two tablespoons melted butter. Mix till the combination is clean and creamy, stopping to scrape down the perimeters just a few instances if wanted. Pour right into a mixing bowl, cowl and let sit 30 minutes or refrigerate for as much as 24 hours. (To make the batter in a mixing bowl: whisk collectively the dry elements. Whisk within the eggs. As soon as mixed, slowly whisk within the milk, then the butter, till clean. Let relaxation as directed.)
Whereas the batter rests, put together the filling: slice the strawberries and place in a bowl. Cowl and refrigerate till able to serve. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and Greek yogurt till clean and mixed. Beat within the vanilla and honey. Style and modify the sweetness as desired. Refrigerate till you might be able to prepare dinner the crepes.
To prepare dinner: When you’d prefer to preserve the crepes heat between batches, preheat the oven to 200 levels F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preserve it close to the range. Set out the filling and strawberries and let relaxation at room temperature whilst you prepare dinner the crepes.
Warmth an 8-inch or 10-inch nonstick skillet crepe pan or nonstick skillet over medium warmth and let heat for a number of minutes. Add a small quantity of butter and let soften. Give the batter a giant stir (if it’s nonetheless within the blender, transfer it to a mixing bowl). With a big spoon, measuring cup, or ladle, pour 1/Four to 1/3-cup batter into the skillet (I do 1/Three cup, which ends up in a thicker, however simpler to flip crepe). Instantly elevate and slowly swirl the skillet in order that the batter runs evenly across the floor of the pan and the crepe varieties a skinny layer (the quantity of batter you want will fluctuate primarily based in your skillet; modify as you go).
Let the crepe prepare dinner till the highest seems to be dry, about 1 minute. Flip the crepe over (I take advantage of a spatula to loosen the perimeters then rapidly and thoroughly end the job with my fingers, however BE CAREFUL to not burn your self; the pan is scorching and you might be continuing at your personal threat). Let prepare dinner on the opposite aspect for 15 to 30 further seconds, simply till set. The crepe ought to look very barely brown and golden on all sides. Switch the cooked crepe to the baking sheet and preserve heat within the oven (or just place it on a big plate in the event you don’t thoughts the crepe nearer to room temperature). The primary crepe will tear and must be discarded (this occurs to the professionals additionally). You’ll get the grasp of it as you go.
Repeat with remaining batter, rebuttering the pan each few crepes as wanted and stacking the crepes on high of one another within the oven.
To assemble and serve: Place a crepe on a plate and unfold about 2 heaping tablespoons of the cream cheese combination over half of it so that you just create a half moon. Layer sliced strawberries on high of the cream. Fold the uncovered half excessive of the berries so that you’ve a half circle. Then beginning with one level of the half circle, fold the crepe in half over once more in order that the 2 factors roughly contact and you’ve got a tough triangle form with a rounded edge (see weblog pictures). Prime with extra cream and berries and dirt with powdered sugar as desired. Get pleasure from instantly.
- TO STORE: Retailer leftover crepes within the fridge for as much as 1 day.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat crepes on a baking sheet within the oven at 325 diploma F or in a nonstick skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Put together the batter and filling as much as 24 hours upfront, and retailer each in separate storage containers within the fridge till you are able to prepare dinner. Slice the strawberries, and retailer them in a storage container within the fridge for as much as Three days. You can too put together the completed crepes as much as 1 day upfront and retailer them within the fridge.
- Crepe batter tailored from Mark Bittman.
Course: Breakfast, Dessert
Key phrase: straightforward do-it-yourself crepes, straightforward strawberry crepes, make forward crepes, strawberry cream cheese crepes, strawberry crepes from scratch
Quantity per serving (1 (of 10)) — Energy: 150, Fats: 5g, Saturated Fats: 3g, Ldl cholesterol: 46mg, Potassium: 182mg, Carbohydrates: 20g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 247%, Vitamin C: 21%, Calcium: 89%, Iron: 1%
This put up accommodates some affiliate hyperlinks, which implies that I make a small fee off objects you buy at no further price to you.