The second we turned 16, my highschool buddies and I used our newfound freedom (and the power to borrow our dad and mom’ automobiles) to satisfy for dinner at a sure favourite Asian restaurant chain. We felt very grownup and fancy, particularly after we cut up an order of Lettuce Wraps. Tender floor hen cooked in an outrageously addictive, sweet-and-salty Asian sauce, then piled inside crisp lettuce cups, this well-known restaurant appetizer has since change into considered one of my favourite wholesome dinner inspirations.
Great products that you can use in your life.
I first wrote concerning the arrival of the aforementioned illustrious Asian restaurant chain in my Kansas hometown (and the love affair with Asian lettuce wraps that it sparked), again once I shared this recipe for copycat P.F. Chang’s Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps. My love for them hasn’t dwindled within the slightest.
Because it seems, you additionally share my lettuce wrap love! The vegetarian model remains to be one of the standard on my website, and immediately’s hen model has earned the same set of stellar opinions.
P.F. Chang’s lettuce wraps are made from much less accessible components that I’m not as more likely to have round, like mirin and shiitake mushrooms.
Once I got down to create a copycat model, it was essential to me that they be made with easy components which can be straightforward to seek out at most grocery shops. You might even have all of the components in your kitchen proper now!
These wholesome lettuce wraps are fancy with out being fussy and flavorful with out requiring hours of labor. They are often made within the gradual cooker or on the stovetop. Every choice is equally as scrumptious, so select whichever suits greatest together with your schedule.
Whether or not you’re in search of a easy recipe that can impress anybody you serve it to, a simple weeknight dinner with healthful components, or a nutritious stand-in on your weekly takeout order, these Asian lettuce wraps are for you.
Asian Lettuce Wraps—A Wholesome Recipe Love Story
These Thai hen lettuce wraps have the identical candy crunch and addictive style as my unique vegetarian recipe, however they’re made with floor hen as an alternative of tofu.
Additionally they provide a number of different benefits over the unique.
- Crock Pot. This recipe is made within the gradual cooker so you may have most flexibility. Prep it now, then go about your enterprise. In a number of hours, dinner is able to serve.
- Scalability. Whereas I like my vegetarian lettuce wraps, a remark I often acquired was that they have been gone in a single night.
Whereas a clear plate is probably the most honest of compliments for any residence cook dinner, as a lover of meal prep (and anytime I can cook dinner as soon as and eat greater than as soon as), I additionally acknowledge the advantage of having leftovers.
As we speak’s recipe for wholesome Asian lettuce wraps yields a extra beneficiant portion of the filling. Any quantity you don’t end tonight will final within the fridge for a number of days and will be frozen for a number of months, making them a meal prep dream.
Find out how to Make Lettuce Wraps
What makes this recipe particular is its mix of nuanced flavors and textures, together with a well-balanced incorporation of wholesome meals teams. Each spoonful offers double-duty servings of each protein and greens.
From the “Why can I not cease consuming this???” tasty sauce, to the crunch of the water chestnuts, the components mix collectively fantastically. Each chunk delivers.
- Floor Hen. Floor hen is quick-cooking, delicate, and it’ll take in the flavour of the sauce with out overpowering it. Excellent! Plus, it’s filled with filling protein.
- Hoisin + Soy Sauce. The candy, sticky, salty, and umami base for our sauce. Think of hoisin as candy Asian BBQ sauce (YUM!). If you happen to aren’t ready to make use of soy sauce, you can attempt tamari or coconut aminos as an alternative.
- Rice Vinegar. It offers a contact of acid to stability the sweetness of the hoisin and saltiness of the soy sauce. It’s a staple in Asian-style recipes like this one. You may as well use it in any of those recipes that use rice vinegar.
- Sesame Oil. A richly nutty and toasty counterpart to the sweetness in our sauce. This one is difficult to swap; when you cook dinner Asian meals usually (or aspire to), you’ll love having it available.
- Ginger + Garlic. Twin taste bombs in Asian cooking. Contemporary ginger is greatest however you may swap in one-third the quantity of floor ginger in a pinch.
- Mushrooms + Grated Carrots. Even when you don’t like mushrooms, I extremely doubt you’ll discover them right here! They’re chopped tremendous small, and their taste deepens the sauce with out making it style like mushrooms. Plus, the added veggies assist make this dish extra nutritious. Mushrooms carry antioxidants and Vitamin-B, and carrots are filled with Vitamin-A.
- Purple Pepper Flakes. Just a bit for some warmth.
- Water Chestnuts. The scrumptious “crunch” issue. They’re delicate however oh so worthwhile.
- Butter Lettuce. Butter lettuce is the sort of lettuce used for lettuce wraps. The leaves are tender and barely candy, making them the best vessel for our filling. The internal hearts of romaine lettuce additionally work effectively. Want an alternative choice? You should utilize iceberg lettuce for lettuce wraps, if that’s what you may have available.
- Mix the sauce components.
- Brown the hen in giant skillet. Add the inexperienced onion, ginger, and garlic.
- Place the combination within the gradual cooker, and stir within the greens, crimson pepper flakes, and sauce. Prepare dinner on LOW for two to three hours. Add the water chestnuts and remaining inexperienced onions.
- Scoop the combination into the lettuce cups, and DIG IN!
- Beef Lettuce Wraps. Swap the bottom hen on this recipe for lean floor beef. The flavour might be completely different however nonetheless tasty.
- Turkey Lettuce Wraps. Use floor turkey as an alternative of floor hen. This swap is almost imperceptible.
- Shredded Hen Lettuce Wraps. Since this recipe is designed for cooking floor meat (versus an entire hen breast), as an alternative I’d suggest making this Crockpot Teriyaki Hen or this Immediate Pot Teriyaki Hen, then folding it into lettuce cups.
- To Make Vegetarian. See my recipe for Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps (linked above). Please be aware this recipe is made on the stovetop solely and wouldn’t translate to the gradual cooker, because the tofu would overcook.
Find out how to Retailer, Reheat, and Freeze Lettuce Wraps
- To Retailer. Leftover filling will be saved in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as Four days. Retailer your lettuce individually in an hermetic container or ziptop bag within the fridge. I prefer to wrap my lettuce leaves in a dry paper towel or clear kitchen towel earlier than inserting them within the container/bag to assist protect their crunch.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm the filling in a big skillet on the range over medium-low warmth. You may as well reheat this recipe within the microwave. Fill lettuce cups simply earlier than serving.
- To Freeze. Place leftover filling in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container within the freezer for as much as three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, and serve with contemporary lettuce cups.
What to Serve with Lettuce Wraps
Since these lettuce wraps provide each protein and veggies in a single serving (like this Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe), we loved them as a standalone dinner. If you wish to serve them with a aspect dish, listed below are a number of concepts:
- Rice. Serve them with brown rice or quinoa, and also you’ll hit each meals group in a single meal.
- Veggies. Add much more greens by pairing these wraps with a aspect of Roasted Frozen Broccoli.
- Salad. A crisp, flavorful salad like this Asian Cabbage Salad can be tasty. I’ve additionally combined the lettuce wrap filling with romaine for a simple salad.
Need to get actually wild? Take a be aware from my “I earn a living from home and something within the fridge is truthful sport for lunch” e-book. Do that wholesome lettuce wrap filling combined with scrambled eggs and some further pictures of soy sauce. SO GOOD!
Extra Wholesome Variations of Takeout Favorites
Really helpful Instruments to Make Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Programmable Gradual Cooker. I like that it switches to “maintain heat” on the finish of the cooking time so my meals not often overcooks.
- Dutch Oven. This one is ideal for browning the meat and getting ready the recipe on the stovetop.
- Measuring Spoons. These are straightforward to retailer and might go within the dishwasher.
Whether or not you’re new to lettuce wraps or think about your self a lettuce wrap connoisseur, I hope you’ll give this tasty recipe a attempt! If you happen to do, please let me know what you suppose within the feedback beneath. I like listening to from you.
Wholesome Crockpot Asian Lettuce Wraps with floor hen or floor turkey, inexperienced onions, and contemporary veggies. Higher than PF Chang’s! This contemporary, wholesome gradual cooker recipe is straightforward to make, and the sauce is so flavorful and never too spicy. Serve with lettuce cups or rice for a scrumptious meal.
- half of cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce — plus 1 tablespoon, use tamari to make gluten free
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 kilos floor hen breast
- 1 small bunch inexperienced onions — thinly sliced, white/mild inexperienced and darkish inexperienced elements divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic — minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 8 ounces child bella cremini mushrooms — finely chopped
- 1 half of cup grated carrots — from about three giant carrots
- half of teaspoon crimson pepper flakes — cut back to 1/Four teaspoon or omit if delicate to spice
- 2 cans water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped — (Eight ounce cans) drained and finely chopped
- 2 heads butter lettuce
Frivolously coat a 5-quart or bigger gradual cooker with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, stir collectively the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Put aside.
Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium excessive. Add the hen and brown the meat, breaking it into small items. Proceed cooking till not pink, about Four to six minutes. Stir within the white and light-weight inexperienced elements of the inexperienced onions, ginger, and garlic. Prepare dinner 30 extra seconds.
Switch the meat combination to the gradual cooker. Stir within the chopped mushrooms, carrots, crimson pepper flakes, and sauce. Cowl and cook dinner on LOW for two to three hours till the combination is thickened and the hen is extremely tender. (Don’t be tempted to cook dinner on HIGH, because the hen will change into robust.) Stir within the water chestnuts and inexperienced elements of the inexperienced onions.
To serve, separate the butter lettuce leaves and fill with the hen combination. Take pleasure in scorching.
- TO MAKE ON THE STOVETOP: Put together the recipe by way of step 2 in a big, deep skillet or Dutch oven. Scale back the warmth to low and let cook dinner till the hen and mushrooms are very tender and the sauce has thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes. Verify and stir periodically. Stir within the water chestnuts and inexperienced tops of the inexperienced onions. Take pleasure in!
- I don’t suggest cooking this recipe on excessive within the gradual cooker. The filling does greatest over low warmth in order that it turns into good and tender.
- TO STORE: Leftover filling will be saved in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as Four days. Retailer your lettuce individually in an hermetic container or ziptop bag within the fridge. I prefer to wrap my lettuce leaves in a dry paper towel or clear kitchen towel earlier than inserting them within the container/bag to assist protect their crunch.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm the filling in a big skillet on the range over medium-low warmth. You may as well reheat this recipe within the microwave. Fill lettuce cups simply earlier than serving.
- TO FREEZE: Place leftover filling in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container within the freezer for as much as three months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge, and serve with contemporary lettuce cups.
Delicacies: Chinese language
Key phrase: Asian Lettuce Wraps, Straightforward Chinese language Meals, Wholesome Lettuce Wrap Recipe
Quantity per serving (1 (of 8), about 1 cup filling) — Energy: 247, Fats: 5g, Saturated Fats: 1g, Ldl cholesterol: 60mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 10g, Protein: 28g
This submit comprises some affiliate hyperlinks, which implies that I make a small fee off objects you buy at no extra price to you.