It’s a ravishing, hopeful spring day within the kitchen while you bake this Gluten Free Carrot Cake.
Great products that you can use in your life.
This recipe is sponsored by Bob’s Crimson Mill.
That is carrot cake at its greatest!
- Absolutely loaded with a kitchen sink of mix-ins.
- Topped off with a lavish slather of cream cheese frosting.
- Indisputably moist and tender, but substantial sufficient to carry a slice, simply as carrot cake ought to.
My purpose with this recipe was twofold. Initially, I needed to bake a killer carrot cake, one that will fill my coronary heart with optimistic emotions of springtime and style like a cheerful, celebratory second.
Second, I needed my carrot cake to be gluten free, with out really tasting gluten free.
I imply no disrespect to the nice GF bakers on the market; the issue is that gluten free truffles disappoint extra usually than they need to. This one doesn’t. It tastes like a very, super-duper, extremely excellent carrot cake!
This carrot cake recipe is made with almond flour (no all-purpose flour is used), so if you’re having hassle getting a maintain of all-purpose flour proper now, regardless of your dietary wants it’s a implausible possibility that you just’ll be thrilled you tried.
Not solely did this recipe become a stellar gluten free carrot cake, in the event you use a non-dairy cream cheese frosting recipe, it’s a slam-dunk dairy-free AND gluten free carrot cake. Which means extra carrot cake for all, no matter your dietary restrictions (or pantry state of affairs).
Everybody deserves to have a superb carrot cake of their lives. For the time being, that is mine. I hope it is going to be yours too!
How you can Make Gluten Free Carrot Cake
The very first thing you’ll discover about this recipe (and what makes it gluten free) is that as an alternative of all-purpose flour, I made this carrot cake with almond flour. I’ve eaten my share of carrot truffles (Healthy Carrot Cake) and carrot-cake impressed recipes (Carrot Cookies; Carrot Cake Muffins), and I feel the almond flour really makes carrot cake style even higher.
Almond flour’s refined, nutty taste was made to be included into carrot cake, which historically requires nuts anyway. It’s as if the 2 had been destined to be collectively all alongside.
Almond flour is heavier than all-purpose flour (you may’t substitute almond flour instantly in a recipe calling for all-purpose flour), so my greatest impediment with this recipe was guaranteeing the carrot cake got here out tender and fluffy, not dense. Beating the eggs for a number of minutes first proved to be the trick, a tip I picked up from Bon Appetit.
- Almond Flour. A implausible ingredient for gluten free and on a regular basis baking. Almond flour is made from floor almonds, so it maintains the identical well being advantages that almonds do, similar to vitamin E, protein, fiber, and wholesome fat.
High quality right here issues—I purchase and advocate Bob’s Red Mill. The standard and consistency of almond flour can differ, and Bob’s by no means lets me down. I additionally respect that Bob’s places a precedence on the way it sources and processes its components to make sure they keep the utmost dietary worth attainable.
- Carrots. The opposite star ingredient in our carrot cake! Carrots make the cake naturally candy, hold the batter moist, and their taste is additional enhanced by the nice and cozy spices and maple syrup. Plus, carrots are full of Vitamin-A and potassium. Carrot cake for breakfast? It’s wanting like a good suggestion.
- Coconut. One other naturally candy aspect that additionally provides texture.
- Nuts. Toasted pecans or walnuts add a pleasant crunch and savory complement to the candy flavors on this cake.
- Maple Syrup. As an alternative of utilizing solely refined sugar, I needed to naturally sweeten this cake with some maple syrup too. The flavour of maple syrup is unbelievable paired with the nice and cozy spices and nuttiness of the almond flour.
- Raisins. I really like including raisins to carrot cake for his or her chewy texture and candy taste. When you’re not into them (they’re decisive, I do know!) you may strive golden raisins (that are sweeter), dried cranberries, or just omit them.
- Spices. A spiced carrot cake is a cheerful carrot cake. I used a traditional mixture of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for heat and wealthy, deep flavors.
Put together your cake pans with parchment paper, nonstick spray, and evenly mud them with almond flour.
Toast the nuts at 350 levels F. As soon as cooled, chop them into items. Whisk collectively the dry components.
Beat the eggs and sugar till fluffy. That is key to creating the carrot cake mild, so don’t shortcut this step. Add the maple syrup and vanilla.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix the carrots, oil, coconut, raisins, and nuts.
Alternate including the moist and dry components to the egg combination. This additionally will assist hold your cake fluffy.
Pour the batter into the ready cake pans, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let the truffles cool within the pan for a couple of minutes earlier than eradicating them to a wire rack.
Put together the cream cheese frosting, then pop it into the fridge till your truffles are cool. Frost and assemble your cake. I prefer to hold the edges “bare” for a enjoyable, whimsy look. ENJOY!
Make-Forward and Storage Suggestions
- To Make Forward. Cake layers will be baked 1 day prematurely. Wrap in plastic and retailer at room temperature. The frosting may also be made a day prematurely; retailer it within the fridge, then frost the cake a number of hours earlier than serving.
- To Retailer. Cowl the cake, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 1 week. Let come to close room temperature previous to serving.
- To Freeze. Lower your cake into slices, and individually freeze every slice in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 2 months. Take away and thaw slices as desired within the fridge. You can also freeze the entire cake or freeze particular person layers.
Extra Favourite Almond Flour Recipes
It’s value shopping for a bag of almond flour! You need to use it in any of those almond flour recipes. Listed here are a number of scrumptious recipe picks to get your began:
I had initially hoped to bake this gluten free carrot cake recipe for my household at Easter—none of whom have a dietary restriction however all of whom love a superb carrot cake—however we’re placing our get-together on maintain in the intervening time. Ben and I can be having a quiet Easter brunch at house to ourselves. Whereas I assumed baking a complete carrot cake could be a bit extreme for simply two the 2 of us, I truthfully don’t suppose I’ll have the option to withstand!
This cake saves nicely (see suggestions above to retailer and/or freeze) and tastes so magnificent, I do know we’ll be delighted to benefit from the leftovers within the days and weeks that observe.
I hope this carrot cake brings a way of peace, consolation, and optimism to your desk too.
This moist, fluffy Gluten Free Carrot Cake is made with almond flour, slathered in cream cheese frosting, and has the right traditional style and texture!
FOR THE GLUTEN FREE CAKE:
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour — plus extra for dusting pans
- 3/4 cup uncooked walnuts or pecans — plus extra for adorning the cake
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons floor cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon floor ginger
- ½ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- Pinch floor cloves
- 5 massive eggs
- 3/4 cups packed darkish brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots — about Four medium or 10 ounces
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- half cup raisins
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 8 ounces diminished fats cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter — at room temperature
- 2 to three cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Line two, 8-inch spherical cake pans with parchment paper, then coat with nonstick spray. Evenly mud with almond flour, tapping out extra.
Unfold the nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Place within the oven and bake till toasted and aromatic, about Eight minutes. Take away to a chopping board. Let cool barely. Measure out ¾ cup, then finely chop for the batter. Reserve the remainder for adorning the cake.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk collectively the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves, and remaining Three cups almond flour.
Within the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a big mixing bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar on medium excessive till pale toasty brown, fluffy, and almost tripled in quantity, about 5 to 7 minutes. (Don’t shortcut this step—it helps make the batter ethereal). Beat within the maple syrup and vanilla.
Pat the carrots dry. Place in a clear medium mixing bowl. Stir within the oil, coconut, raisins, and chopped nuts.
With the mixer working on low pace, add one-third of the almond flour combination to the egg combination. As soon as it disappears, add half of the carrot combination. Add the subsequent one-third of the flour combination, then remaining carrot combination, then the final one-third of the flour, absolutely incorporating after every addition.
Divide batter between ready pans and clean the tops. Bake layers till the cake is evenly browned on prime, a toothpick inserted into the middle of the layers comes out clear, and the tops spring again evenly when touched about, 20 to 25 minutes. The truffles can be a deep golden brown. Place the pans on a wire rack and let cool within the pans 10 minutes. Fastidiously run a uninteresting knife round edges to launch the truffles, then invert them onto the rack to chill utterly.
Whereas the truffles bake, put together the frosting. In a big mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter collectively till easily mixed, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the bowl as wanted. Cut back mixer pace to low and slowly add 2 cups of the powdered sugar. Beat till mixed. Proceed including the final 1 cup sugar, till the frosting is as stiff and candy as you would like (the extra powdered sugar you add, the stiffer and sweeter it is going to be). Add the vanilla, almond, and salt. Improve the pace to medium excessive and beat till clean, extremely creamy, and a bit of lighter and fluffier, scraping down the bowl as wanted, about Four full minutes. Refrigerate to agency up a short time the cake continues baking and cools. If it corporations up an excessive amount of to unfold simply relying upon how lengthy you retain it in your fridge, let stand at room temperature previous to frosting, till it’s simply spreadable.
Assemble the cake: Trim the domed prime of 1 cake layer in order that it’s flat, then place the layer trimmed-side up a serving plate. Tuck strips of parchment paper across the edges to guard the plate from drips. Unfold 1/Three of the frosting on prime. Prime with remaining cake layer, domed-side up. Unfold the highest with a thick layer of extra frosting. Maintain the edges very evenly frosted (suppose ornamental smear). Embellish with remaining nuts as desired.
- TO MAKE DAIRY FREE: Use your favourite dairy-free or vegan cream cheese frosting recipe.
- TO STORE: Cowl the cake, and retailer it within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- TO FREEZE: Lower your cake into slices, and individually freeze every slice in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 2 months. Take away and thaw slices as desired within the fridge.
Key phrase: gluten free carrot cake
Quantity per serving (1 (of 12)) — Energy: 588, Fats: 38g, Saturated Fats: 9g, Ldl cholesterol: 83mg, Potassium: 316mg, Carbohydrates: 57g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 42g, Protein: 11g, Vitamin A: 3659%, Vitamin C: 2%, Calcium: 149%, Iron: 2%
I’m sharing this put up in partnership with Bob’s Crimson Mill. As at all times, all opinions are my very own. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers and firms that make it attainable for me to proceed to create high quality content material for you! For extra wholesome recipe inspiration, coupons, or to discover a retailer that carries Bob’s Crimson Mill merchandise close to you, go to bobsredmill.com.
This put up comprises some affiliate hyperlinks, which signifies that I make a small fee off objects you buy at no extra value to you.