This citrus salad will brighten up any winter day! It is refreshing, gentle, and crammed with taste from fennel, recent mint, avocado, and extra.
Great products that you can use in your life.
If a tomato salad is one of the best a part of summer time, a citrus salad is definitely its winter counterpart. When tender greens and bursty berries are nonetheless months away, citrus season is at its peak. Good tomatoes could also be scarce, however satsumas, grapefruit, oranges, and mandarins are candy and acidic, juicy, and vibrant. So if I’m within the temper for one thing recent, gentle, and vivid within the winter months, a citrus salad is the very first thing I flip to.
This recipe is my favourite citrus salad but! It makes use of a mixture of fruit to indicate off the season’s finest, and it’s stuffed with crisp, fragrant, salty, and bitter components to accent the candy, juicy citrus. It might be a show-stopping facet dish for any dinner or brunch, however in case you’re like me, you’ll need to eat this salad just about on a regular basis. Pair it with a scoop of farro or prime it with a handful of crispy roasted chickpeas, and name it a meal. I hope you find it irresistible as a lot as I do!
Citrus Salad Recipe Substances
Once I’m including citrus to a salad, you possibly can guess that fennel, avocado, and mint received’t be far behind. Every of those elements highlights the candy, juicy fruit otherwise. You’ll discover all of them right here, together with a number of different key elements:
- Citrus, in fact! It couldn’t be a citrus salad and not using a good mixture of citrus fruits. I used satsumas and grapefruit, however navel or blood oranges, mandarins, and tangelos would even be wonderful.
- Fennel, 2 methods – I thinly slice one bulb and go away it uncooked for crunch. Then, I slice one other into wedges and roast it. It comes out of the oven with a silky texture and fragrant, caramelized taste that’s scrumptious on this citrus salad.
- Radicchio – The hearty, bitter leaves steadiness the fruits’ sweetness and stand as much as all of the juices on this salad.
- Avocado – Its creamy texture is improbable with the opposite juicy, crunchy components right here.
- Shaved pecorino cheese – A salty distinction for the candy fruit!
- Pine nuts – For crunch! Pepitas, chopped almonds, or chopped walnuts can be nice right here too.
- Recent mint – The cherry on prime! It makes this salad really feel recent and lightweight. Strive utilizing recent thyme leaves for a enjoyable variation.
A zingy lemon French dressing ties all of it collectively!
To assemble the salad, begin by layering the radicchio, the roasted fennel, and half the uncooked fennel and citrus segments onto a platter. Drizzle all of it with the dressing and season it with salt and pepper. Layer on the remainder of the fennel and the citrus, and prime them with the avocado, mint, cheese, and pine nuts. Add extra dressing and salt and pepper, and serve!
Citrus Salad Ideas
- Pass over the pith. This salad must be all concerning the citrus fruit, not the pith. To showcase the fruit’s candy taste and juicy texture, reducing off the peel and white pith from every citrus wedge is vital. I additionally prefer to take away any uncovered items of the filmy membrane that separates citrus segments.
- Get forward. This attractive salad can be improbable for entertaining! To prep it forward of time, whisk collectively the dressing, shave and roast the fennel, and slice the citrus as much as a day upfront. Assemble the salad proper earlier than you’re able to eat.
- Make it vegan. Skip the cheese, and use a tablespoon of capers or diced Kalamata olives instead.
Extra Chilly Climate Salad Recipes
When you love this citrus salad, strive considered one of these hearty salad recipes subsequent:
Or, discover my prime 40 salad recipes here!
Citrus Salad with Fennel & Avocado
Serves 4 to six
This citrus salad is considered one of our favourite facet dishes! To make it forward of time, section the citrus, slice and roast the fennel, and whisk collectively the dressing as much as a day upfront. Assemble it if you’re able to eat!
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced into wedges and roasted
- 1 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 5 radicchio leaves, torn
- 2 satsumas or 1 small orange, segmented
- 1 small pink grapefruit, segmented
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup shaved pecorino
- ¼ cup recent mint leaves
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Put together the roasted fennel based on these instructions.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk collectively the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and Dijon mustard.
In a medium bowl, toss the sliced fennel with a number of drizzles of the dressing. Put aside for 15 minutes so the fennel softens a bit.
Assemble the salad on a platter by arranging half of the sliced fennel, all of the roasted fennel, radicchio, and half of the citrus segments. Drizzle with a number of spoonfuls of the dressing and sprinkle with salt. Layer the remaining fennel and the remaining citrus onto the salad. Prime with the avocado, pine nuts, pecorino, and mint. Drizzle with extra dressing, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.