Freezer cooking is a superb strategy to save money and time within the kitchen! Listed here are 50+ gluten-free freezer-friendly recipes, plus tips about the right way to freeze meals, and which meals do and don’t freeze properly.
Just like my submit on how to eat healthy on a budget, one of the vital requested posts OF. ALL. TIME. right here on IGE is one which’s all about freezer cooking! So lots of you’re dad and mom to younger and busy kids, are busy professionals, cooking for considered one of two, and/or like to remain forward of the sport, which implies freezer cooking is ideal for you.
Great products that you can use in your life.
First let’s speak about meals that freeze properly – I’m you, non-dairy-based soups, stews, and chilis, pasta and meat sauces, every kind of uncooked and cooked meat and meat-based dishes, some casseroles, baked items, and bites and snacks – whew! I’ve obtained sections for all these meals beneath with hyperlinks to recipes which can be freezer-friendly, in addition to directions on the right way to freeze, thaw, then serve them. Once I’m making a freezer-friendly recipe, I like to purchase double or triple the substances so I could make double or triple the recipe to freeze.
Let’s additionally chat actual fast about the very best supplies for freezing meals and recipes, freezer cooking suggestions, tricks to keep away from freezer burn (the worst!) meals that freeze properly and, equally as essential, meals that don’t freeze properly.
Supplies wanted for freezer cooking:
You may get away with freezing a ton of meals and recipes in Ziplock freezer luggage, although some gained’t match inside so that you’ll need to first wrap these in plastic wrap after which foil. As a substitute of tying up glass bakeware, assemble casseroles inside disposable foil pans then cowl with foil, label, and freeze.
Freezer cooking suggestions:
- Chill meals fully within the fridge earlier than freezing them. This won’t solely stop ice crystals from forming on prime, however will assist hold the temperature of the freezer from drastically dropping when including unfrozen meals to it.
- Freeze meals FLAT in Ziplock luggage to keep away from clumping and to allow them to stack within the freezer.
- Chop uncooked substances like fruits, greens, and so forth. earlier than freezing flat in a Ziplock freezer bag.
- Label luggage/packaging with date frozen, enjoy-by date, contents, and reheating directions.
- Click here for suggestions on how lengthy to retailer frozen meals.
Tricks to keep away from freezer burn:
My two greatest suggestions for stopping freezer burn is to by no means freeze heat or scorching meals, and wrap as hermetic as doable! Extra on that…
- By no means put scorching or heat meals into the freezer. Chill fully earlier than packaging.
- Take away as a lot air as doable from freezer luggage earlier than freezing (generally I stick a straw within the nook of the Ziplock bag to suck all of the air out.)
- Wrap meals that don’t slot in freezer luggage, like fast breads, first in plastic wrap after which foil.
- If utilizing plastic or glass containers to freeze liquids like broth or soup, depart room on the prime for liquid to increase as soon as frozen.
- Don’t overload the freezer with a ton of unfrozen meals directly, which can convey down the temperature of the freezer. Freeze unfrozen, chilled meals in batches.
Meals that freeze properly:
- Rooster breasts (cooked or uncooked)
- Floor meat (cooked or uncooked)
- Salmon filets (uncooked)
- Bacon (I desire uncooked)
- Shredded cheese
- Berries (slice bigger berries like strawberries first)
- Chopped fruit: bananas, pineapple, mango, peaches, pitted cherries
- Greens: peas, chopped carrots, candy corn kernels, chopped onions
- Chopped squash (for pureeing as soon as thawed)
- Lemon/lime juice
- Marinara sauce
- Child spinach and chopped kale (throw instantly into smoothies)
- Chopped recent herbs (freeze in ice dice trays in additional virgin olive oil)
- Ready mashed potatoes
- Ready waffles/pancakes
- Cooked brown rice
- Cooked wild rice
- Raw gnocchi
- Cooked or dried beans
- Floor flax seed
Meals that don’t freeze properly:
- Cooked gluten-free pasta (because of this I don’t suggest freezing casseroles made with GF pasta)
- Beforehand fried meals – freeze breaded meals un-fried then thaw earlier than frying
- Tacky/milk-based soups
- Fruits or greens with excessive water content material – watermelon, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, celery
- Recipes with cooked white rice (cooked wild rice freezes nice)
Alrighty, let’s get to stocking that freezer with these 50+ gluten-free, freezer-friendly recipes!
Soups, Stews, and Chili
Put together then chill fully, scoop into gallon Ziplock luggage, and freeze flat. Thaw in a single day within the fridge then warmth in a soup pot or in particular person parts in bowls.
Put together then chill fully, scoop into gallon Ziplock luggage, and freeze flat. Thaw in a single day within the fridge then reheat in a saucepan and serve.
You’ll be able to freeze burgers, meatloaves, and meatballs cooked or raw. I desire to freeze meat uncooked on a baking sheet then switch to a Ziplock freezer bag as soon as frozen. Thaw meat within the fridge then bake/put together based on recipe directions. Within the case of freezing cooked floor meat, cool cooked meat fully then switch to a freezer bag and freeze flat.
Assemble casseroles as much as the baking step then chill, cowl tightly with plastic wrap after which foil, after which freeze. Thaw within the fridge in a single day then bake based on recipe directions. You’ll be able to bake casseroles instantly from the freezer however there’s a little bit of guesswork concerned in timing and temperature.
Fast breads, muffins, cupcakes, and cookies are good for freezing! Cool fully then, within the case of muffins, cupcakes, and cookies, switch to a Ziplock freezer bag and freeze. Cool fast breads fully then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze in a Ziplock freezer bag or wrap in foil in the event that they gained’t slot in a bag. Thaw within the fridge, on the counter, or wrap in paper towels whereas frozen and microwave at 50% energy till heat.
Bites and Snacks
Chill bites and snacks fully then freeze on a baking sheet and switch to a Ziplock freezer bag as soon as frozen. All of those recipes (besides granola and Pet Chow which don’t have to be thawed!) will be reheated within the microwave at 50% energy from frozen.
Every recipe comprises freezing directions so check with the submit when making and freezing these gluten-free breakfast recipes!